Skip directly to content

Meaning - Boy with a coin

• Félix D'haenens's picture
    Meaning - Boy with a coin
    says (2013-01-25 22:24)

Hi ! I'm a big fan of "Our Endless Numbered Days" and "Around the Well ".
    But my favorite song still Boy with a coin.
    I love the lyrics, tried to understand them, but i'm still confused sometimes.
    So if someone can help me, correct me, explain me more, I would really appreciate that. Thank you.

So far, here is what i found on some website explaining lyrics with a few corrections from me.

A boy with a coin he found in the weeds
    With bullets and pages of trade magazines
    Close to a car that flipped on the turn
    When God left the ground to circle the

Félix D'haenens's picture
on (Jan 25, 2013)

Hi ! I'm a big fan of "Our Endless Numbered Days" and "Around the Well ".
But my favorite song still Boy with a coin.
I love the lyrics, tried to understand them, but i'm still confused sometimes.
So if someone can help me, correct me, explain me more, I would really appreciate that. Thank you.

So far, here is what i found on some website explaining lyrics with a few corrections from me.

A boy with a coin he found in the weeds
With bullets and pages of trade magazines
Close to a car that flipped on the turn
When God left the ground to circle the world

A girl with a bird she found in the snow
Then flew up her gown and that's how she knows
If God made her eyes for crying at birth
Then left the ground to circle the earth

A boy with a coin he crammed in his jeans
Then making a wish he tossed in the sea
Walked to a town that all of us burn
When God left the ground to circle the world

*Boy with a coin*- innocent child playing. The coin is a symbol for hope, for dreams.

*with bullets and pages of trade magazines
close to a car THAT flipped on the turn* - this is the picture of the world, bullets- war, trade magazines - material world, corruption, there is no space for art, love, kindness...

*when God left the ground to circle the world* - where is God? How can a innocent boy play next to bullets and a car that flipped? Why is the world so violent when there is a God? I thing it's about questioning the existence of God. And about kids who should be surrounded with fairy tales and music, art, not bullets and crashed cars.

*Girl with a bird she found in the snow
that flew up her gown, and that's how she knows
that God made her eyes for crying at birth* - the girl is the innocence in ourself. Even the bird is corrupted by our world. It doesn't not rape her. He raped her innocence to corrupt her to, and that's how she learn about the corruption of the world. God gave us eyes for crying, because the world is a horrible place.

*then left the ground to circle the earth* - again, it means, this is the key of the song. God LEFT, we are on our own. 

*Boy with a coin he crammed in his jeans 
then making a wish, and tossed in the sea , walked to a town that all of us burn* - the boy wishing that the world becomes a better place, then come back to the real world that all of us are corrupting.

*when God left the ground to circle the world* - well, I think he blames God for many problems in the world...

Forum category: